With the help of a best dishwasher , you can machine-clean your dishes and cutlery and do not have to wash the utensils by hand. This way you save time. In addition, the use of a dishwasher usually results in lower water consumption compared to rinsing by hand. The types of dishwashers include built-in dishwashers. Such models fit optically into the kitchen picture. This is especially true for the fully integrable devices, which you can completely cover with a furniture front.
In our built-in dishwasher comparison, we present 10 built-in dishwashers and report on the properties and features of the devices. In our guide that follows, we will tell you which aspects play a role when buying a dishwasher and give you some tips for using and cleaning a built-in dishwasher. We explain the most important programs and functions of the appliances and answer numerous questions about dishwashers.
Top 10 Best Dishwasher – Detailed Guide
1. SIEMENS SN636X00KE – fully integrated built-in dishwasher with automatic program
The SIEMENS built-in dishwasher SN636X00KE is a fully integrable device. It has the energy efficiency class A ++ and consumes 262 kilowatt hours annually. Its water consumption is 2,100 liters per year and its capacity is 13 place settings. Its drying efficiency class is A. The features of the device include the following:
- InfoLight : The device shows you that the program is in progress with a light projected onto the floor. As soon as the rinsing process is over, the light goes out.
- DosierAssisstent : With the dosierAssisstent, the rinsing tab gets into a drip tray. According to the manufacturer, a water jet then ensures a quick and controlled dissolution of the cleaning agent.
- AquaStop safety system : Thanks to the aquaStop safety system, various water damage should be avoided.
The lower basket of the SIEMENS built-in dishwasher has several folding spikes. The upper basket is provided with folding spikes and foldable shelves. You can also adjust the height of the upper basket in three stages and adapt it to your needs. This should make it easier, for example, to place larger dishes such as pizza plates or large pots in the lower basket. It is also practical that the lower and the upper basket are each equipped with a handle. The device also has a vario drawer. It represents the third loading level, which you can load with cutlery, salad servers, soup ladles, espresso cups and other small dishes.
The dishwasher is equipped with an iQdrive motor. According to the manufacturer, it impresses with its efficiency and long service life. The engine also works quietly. The dishwasher programs include a glass program that can be used to clean your dishes at a temperature of 40 degrees Celsius. In this program, the device cleans your dishes thoroughly and gently according to the manufacturer’s instructions. You can use the glass program, for example, if you want to clean glasses or other delicate dishes.
The SIEMENS model also has an intensive program, an eco program, a one-hour program and a TurboSpeed program. It is also equipped with a machine care program and the two functions extra drying and varioSpeed-Plus. By activating the extra drying function, the device dries your dishes at a higher temperature and for a longer period of time. If you set the varioSpeed-Plus function, you benefit from a shorter rinsing time.
The SIEMENS dishwasher can be suitable for you if you are looking for a fully integrated model with a cutlery drawer and an infoLight. You get the device with a capacity of 13 place settings, a height-adjustable upper basket and an iQdrive motor, which according to the manufacturer works quietly and efficiently. Other features of the built-in dishwasher include the automatic program, the extra drying function and the dosage assistant.
The model is 81.5 cm high, 59.8 cm wide and 55 cm deep.
The SIEMENS dishwasher has a volume of 46 decibels.
Yes. You can adjust the height of the upper basket to your needs in three stages.
Yes. The built-in dishwasher has a delay start. It offers you the option of setting a delayed start time between one and 24 hours.
Yes. The device is equipped with a remaining time display.
Yes. The SN636X00KE built-in dishwasher alerts you to the end of the program with an acoustic signal.
2. Fully integrated built-in dishwasher FSE53600Z from AEG with energy class A +++ and Beam On Floor
The fully integrated AEG built-in dishwasher FSE53600Z has five programs and two additional options. This includes the Extra Dry function, which, according to the manufacturer, enables you to benefit from a higher drying performance. By activating the Time Saver function, the AEG device therefore works with a higher water temperature, a higher water pressure and shorter rinsing and drying phases. The programs include:
- Autosome program : In the Autosome program, the device adjusts the temperature, water consumption and the duration of the program to the degree of soiling of your dishes and cutlery.
- Intensive program : You set the intensive program if your dishes are heavily soiled. In this program, the device cleans your utensils at a temperature of 70 degrees Celsius.
- Glass program : You select the glass program for cleaning glasses or delicate dishes. The temperature during the main wash is 45 degrees Celsius.
- 30-minute program : Set the 30-minute program to quickly clean utensils that you used recently.
- Energy saving program : In the economy program, the temperature during the main wash is 50 degrees Celsius. You can select the program if you put normally soiled dishes in the dishwasher.
The dishwasher from AEG is available with a capacity of 13 place settings and the energy efficiency class A +++. The model consumes 234 kilowatt hours and 2,775 liters of water annually. It has a lower basket, an upper basket and a cutlery basket. The lower basket is equipped with two foldable plate holders and a handle. The upper basket has four foldable cup racks, a handle and two Softies, which, according to the manufacturer, are designed to prevent sensitive glasses and cups from falling apart.
Additional features of the AEG dishwasher are the inverter motor and the electronic salt and rinse aid refill indicator. The model is also provided with a delay start. Thanks to it, you have the option of setting a delayed start time. You can choose a time period from one to 24 hours. After the specified time has elapsed, the dishwasher starts the program independently.
If you want a fully integrable dishwasher with energy efficiency class A +++ and an automatic program, the purchase of the AEG device can be worthwhile for you. The model consumes 234 kilowatt hours of electricity per year and is equipped with the Auto Sense, Intensive, Energy-saving, 30-minute and Glass programs. Other features include the delay start, the two Soft Spikes in the upper basket and the light point projected onto the floor, which tells you whether the program is still running or is over.
Yes. The AEG model is equipped with a remaining run indicator.
Yes. The built-in dishwasher FSE53600Z from AEG informs you with an acoustic signal about the end of the program.
The drying efficiency class of the dishwasher is A.
The volume is 44 decibels.
3. Partly integrable Bauknecht built-in dishwasher BBC 3C26 X with sensor + function and full water protection
The Bauknecht BBC 3C26 X built-in dishwasher is a partially integrated model. It offers you a stainless steel design and is equipped with a stainless steel interior. Its lower basket has four tray segments that you can fold down. Its upper basket is equipped with four foldable cups. The advantage is that you can adjust the height of the upper basket. In addition, the dishwasher is equipped with a cutlery basket that you can remove if necessary.
The Bauknecht built-in dishwasher programs include an eco program, a glass program, an express program, an intensive program, a day program, a night program and a cold pre-wash program. Other features of the device are:
- ActiveDry : The Bauknecht model is equipped with an automatic door opening system.
- MultiZone option : If you activate the MultiZone option, the device only rinses one of the two baskets. This should make the device consume less energy and water. You use this function if you only load the dishwasher half full.
- Hygiene + : By activating the Hygiene + option, the dishwasher should free your dishes from excessive heat and without chemical additives from bacteria and germs.
The Bauknecht model has full water protection, child protection and a delay start. It was classified in energy efficiency class A ++ and in drying class A. The device consumes 266 kilowatt hours and 2,660 liters of water per year. You get it with a capacity of 14 place settings, a volume of 46 decibels and the following dimensions: 82 centimeters high, 59.8 centimeters wide and 55.5 centimeters deep.
If you are looking for a partially integrated dishwasher with child safety lock, full water protection and removable cutlery basket, the Bauknecht model can be the right choice for you. It has a stainless steel design, has eight programs and offers you a capacity of 14 place settings. Other features include the Sensor + function, the automatic door opening system and the MultiZone option. Activating them means that the device only rinses one of the two baskets.
Yes. You have the option of setting a height between 82 and 90 centimeters.
Yes. You can remove the upper basket.
Yes. The Bauknecht model has a remaining time display.
Yes. The built-in dishwasher BBC 3C26 X from Bauknecht has a low salt and rinse aid indicator.
Yes. You can switch off the automatic door opening system ActiveDry.
At what temperature does the Bauknecht built-in dishwasher BBC 3C26 X clean my dishes in the intensive program?
In the intensive program, the device cleans your utensils at a temperature of 65 degrees Celsius.
4. AEG FUE53600ZM built-in built-in dishwasher with Air- and XtraDry as well as TimeSaver function
With the model FUE53600ZM from AEG you get a built-in dishwasher. The device works with a water consumption of 2,775 liters per year and an annual energy consumption of 234 kilowatt hours. The built-in dishwasher has a volume of 44 decibels and has energy efficiency class A +++ and drying efficiency class A. Furthermore, the AEG model offers you a capacity of 13 place settings and the following dimensions: 59.6 cm wide, 81.8 to 89.8 cm high and 57.5 cm deep.
The built-in dishwasher is equipped with five programs. These include an automatic program, an eco program, an intensive program, a glass program and a 30-minute program. You also have the option of activating the TimeSaver function or the XtraDry function. If you set the TimeSaver function, the water temperature and water pressure increase while the program duration shortens. According to the manufacturer, switching on the XtraDry function leads to higher drying performance. Further features of the AEG dishwasher are:
- Delayed start time : Thanks to the delayed start time, you set a delayed start time and select a time period between one and 24 hours. As soon as your specified period of time is over, the device starts the program automatically.
- Auto-off function : 5 minutes after the dishwasher has finished the program, the appliance switches itself off.
- AirDry : With the AirDry function, the device opens its door independently during the drying phase.
The AEG dishwasher can be a good choice for you if you want a built-under dishwasher with an automatic program and energy efficiency class A +++. The model consumes 234 kilowatt hours and 2,775 liters of water annually. It holds up to 13 place settings and is equipped with five programs and the functions XtraDry, AirDry and TimeSaver.
The duration of the eco program is 237 minutes.
The built-in dishwasher FUE53600ZM from AEG has a cutlery basket.
Yes. You can switch off the AirDry function.
Yes. You can adjust the height. The model offers you a height between 81.8 and 89.8 centimeters.
5. Built-in built-in dishwasher SN436S00KE from SIEMENS with iQdrive motor and metering assistant
The SIEMENS SN436S00KE is a built-under dishwasher with the energy efficiency class A ++. It holds up to 13 place settings and has a volume of 46 decibels. The built-in dishwasher’s annual water consumption is 2,100 liters and the electricity consumption is 262 kilowatt hours per year. Its drying efficiency class is A. According to the manufacturer, the programs of the device include:
- automatic program : When you set the automatic program, an aquaSensor checks how cloudy the rinsing water is. He then selects a suitable temperature and regulates the time of adding water and the amount of water.
- Glass program : The glass program enables you to gently clean delicate dishes and glasses.
- Intensive program : In the intensive program, the dishwasher cleans your dishes at a temperature of 70 degrees Celsius. You set the program, for example, if you want to clean insensitive dishes and pots with dried-on or other stubborn dirt.
The SIEMENS dishwasher is also equipped with an iQdrive motor and a metering assistant. According to the manufacturer, the iQdrive motor convinces with a long service life, efficient performance and low volume. The dosing assistant is designed to ensure that the washing tab gets into a drip tray and is dissolved in a controlled manner by a water jet.
In addition to the programs described above, the SIEMENS model offers you an Eco program, a 1-hour program, a TurboSpeed program and a machine maintenance program. Its special functions include the extra drying function and the varioSpeed Plus function, which ensures a shorter program duration. At the same time, this feature promises you, according to the Amazon description, that you will get glossy washing and drying results up to 66 percent faster.
The SIEMENS device may be suitable for you if you are looking for a built-in dishwasher with an extra drying function and a TurboSpeed program. The model offers you a capacity of 13 place settings and has the energy efficiency class A ++. It is equipped with a metering assistant, a varioSpeed-Plus function and an iQdrive motor, which the manufacturer says is characterized by its efficiency. In addition to the TurboSpeed program, the dishwasher programs also include an automatic program and a glass program.
In the Eco program, the dishwasher cleans your dishes at a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius.
Yes. You can adjust the height of the upper basket in three stages.
Yes. The model has a remaining time display.
The built-in dishwasher is 81.5 cm high, 59.8 cm wide and 57.3 cm deep.
Yes, the SIEMENS built-in dishwasher SN436S00KE is equipped with an aquaStop safety system.
6. Bauknecht BUC 3C26 X built-in built-in dishwasher with half-load option and automatic door
The built-in dishwasher BUC 3C26 X from Bauknecht offers you a stainless steel look and is equipped with a sensor program. If you activate this, a sensor measures how polluted the water is. It then controls the temperature and consumption depending on the degree of contamination. The built-in dishwasher also has seven standard programs. These include an intensive program, a day program, a night program, a glass program, an eco program, an express program and a cold pre-wash program.
The Bauknecht model is also equipped with full water protection and a child lock. It is also practical that it shows you the remaining time, a lack of salt and a lack of rinse aid. Further features of the undercounter dishwasher are:
- Hygiene + : If you set the Hygiene + option, the dishwasher removes bacteria and germs on your dishes using high temperatures, according to the manufacturer.
- Delay start : You have the option of preselecting the start time. You can set a time period between one and 24 hours. As soon as your set time period is over, the device starts the program automatically.
- ActiveDry : ActiveDry is an automatic door opening system.
In the lower basket of the Bauknecht dishwasher there is a cutlery basket and four plate segments that you can fold down. The upper basket has four foldable cup racks. If necessary, adjust the height of the upper basket or remove it from the dishwasher. The capacity of the dishwasher is 14 place settings. The device works with a volume of 46 decibels and energy efficiency class A ++. Annual electricity consumption is 266 kilowatt hours and water consumption is 2,660 liters per year. The drying class is A.
The Bauknecht built-in dishwasher offers space for up to 14 place settings and has the energy efficiency class A ++. You get it in a stainless steel look and with eight programs such as a sensor program and an express program. Other features include the automatic door opening system and the half-load option, which should save you water and energy if you only want to clean a little dirty dishes.
The device offers you the following dimensions: 82 centimeters high, 59.8 centimeters wide and 59 centimeters deep.
The built-in dishwasher BUC 3C26 X from Bauknecht has an interior made of stainless steel.
Yes. You can take out the cutlery basket.
Yes. You can deactivate the Active Dry function.
At what temperature does the Bauknecht built-in dishwasher BUC 3C26 X clean my dishes when I select the express program?
In the express program, the dishwasher cleans your dishes at a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius.
In the intensive program, the base unit cleans your dishes at a temperature of 65 degrees Celsius.
7. Partly integrable BOMANN built-in dishwasher GSPE 890 789000 with stainless steel elements and delay start
The BOMANN GSPE 890 789000 is a partially integrated built-in dishwasher. It offers you a capacity of 12 place settings and without feet the following dimensions: 81.5 cm high, 59.8 cm wide and 57 cm deep. The power consumption of the device is 258 kilowatt hours per year and the annual water consumption is 3,080 liters. The energy efficiency class is A ++.
The BOMANN dishwasher has a cutlery basket, a height-adjustable upper basket and several holders for glasses and plates. The control panel, inner container and inner door of the device are made of stainless steel according to the Amazon description. It is also equipped with a water softening device, a metering device for the rinse aid and a safety door lock. You can select the following six programs:
- Eco program
- Normal program
- Intensive program
- Quick program
- 90-minute program
- Glass range
In addition, the model has an overflow protection and shows you the course of the program. Other useful features are the delay start and the half-load function. The delay start allows you to set a delayed start time of 3 hours, 6 hours or 9 hours. You can use the half-load function if you fill the dishwasher with a maximum of 6 place settings. The function is designed to reduce water and electricity consumption and you need less detergent.
If you are looking for a partially integrated dishwasher with a delay start and half-load function, the BOMANN model may be the right choice for you. Thanks to the half-load function, you can save energy and water by cleaning a maximum of 6 place settings. The device has elements made of stainless steel, a capacity of 12 place settings and six programs.
The volume is 49 decibels.
Yes. You can adjust the height of the feet.
The device weighs about 33 kilograms.
The runtime of the quick program is 40 minutes.
Yes. The BOMANN GSPE 890 789000 built-in dishwasher has an indicator for a lack of salt and rinse aid.
Yes. The dishwasher informs you of the end of the program with several beeps.
8. KKT KOLBE GSI62ED – partially integrated built-in dishwasher with sensor buttons and six programs
The partially integrable model GSI62ED from KKT KOLBE has the energy efficiency class A +++. You get the built-in dishwasher in a stainless steel look and with a capacity of 14 place settings. Its annual energy consumption is 231 kilowatt hours and the water consumption is 2,800 liters per year.
The model is equipped with a stainless steel interior and three loading levels, which include a lower basket, a height-adjustable upper basket and a cutlery drawer. The dishwasher also offers you foldable plate holders. This should ensure that you can load the dishwasher more flexibly. Other useful features of the dishwasher are the adjustable feet, the electronic AquaStop and the LED display. You make the settings using the TouchSelect sensor buttons.
- Eco program : In the Eco program, the device uses 10 liters of water and 0.825 kilowatt hours. You can set the economy program if your dishes are normally dirty.
- Intensive program : Use the intensive program if your dishes are heavily soiled. The water consumption in the intensive program is 15.3 liters and the energy consumption is 1.68 kilowatt hours.
- 1-hour program : If your dishes are lightly or normally dirty and you would like a shorter program, select the 1-hour program.
- Quick program : The quick program only lasts 40 minutes. You use it to clean lightly soiled dishes that do not require drying.
- Soft program : Use the soft program if you want to clean temperature-sensitive or delicate dishes.
- Pre-wash program : If you want to pre-wash your dishes first and clean them later in the day, activate the pre-wash program.
With this device you also have the choice between the additional functions drying +, half load and 3-in-1 tab. If you set the Drying + function, the dishwasher operates at a higher temperature and more drying. You use the half-load function if you only have half the load on the dishwasher and you still want to set a wash cycle. You can use the 3-in-1 tab function if you use 3-in-1 dishwasher tabs.
If you want a partially integrated dishwasher with energy efficiency class A +++, the model from KKT KOLBE can be the right choice for you. It has a stainless steel interior, TouchSelect sensor buttons and a capacity of 14 place settings. Other features include the six programs, the three additional functions, the electronic AquaStop, the key lock and the cutlery drawer.
The dishwasher from KKT KOLBE is 60 centimeters wide, 84.5 centimeters high and 60 centimeters long.
The volume is 45 decibels.
The drying efficiency class of the device is A.
Yes. As soon as the KKT KOLBE built-in dishwasher GSI62ED has ended the program, an acoustic signal sounds several times.
Yes. The model allows you to set a delayed start time of up to 24 hours.
Yes. The upper basket is height adjustable.
The Eco program lasts 223 minutes.
9. Fully integrated built-in dishwasher SBV68MD02E from BOSCH with reduced volume and special functions
The BOSCH built-in dishwasher SBV68MD02E is a fully integrable device. It consumes 266 kilowatt hours and 2,660 liters of water annually. Its energy efficiency class is A ++ and the capacity is 14 place settings. In the glass program, the device gently cleans and dries your glasses, according to the manufacturer. In the automatic program, it controls the rinsing time, the temperature and the consumption of water – depending on how dirty your dishes are. Other programs of the BOSCH dishwasher are the intensive program, the eco program, the one-hour program, the quick program and the pre-wash program.
You can also set various special functions. The model has the options Extra Drying, Intensive Zone, HygienePlus and VarioSpeed Plus. Use the extra drying option if the dishes are difficult to dry. By activating the function, the device works with an extended drying phase and with a higher temperature during rinsing. You use the intensive zone function to clean pots or pans with heavy soiling. If you select this option, the device increases the temperature and spray pressure in the lower basket.
If you switch on the HygienePlus option, the dishwasher increases the temperature during the rinse cycle to up to 70 degrees Celsius. The manufacturer promises you a higher hygiene status if used regularly. You can use the function, for example, to clean baby bottles. Using the VarioSpeed-Plus function reduces the program duration, but the dishwasher consumes more water and electricity. According to BOSCH, further features of the built-in dishwasher include:
- AquaStop system : The model has a safety valve, a double-walled inlet hose and a floor pan that is equipped with a float switch.
- OpenAssist : You have the option of opening the dishwasher without a handle. Because thanks to the OpenAssist, you open the door by pressing on the furniture front.
- ActiveWater technology : ActiveWater technology means the model uses less electricity and water.
- TimeLight : The device shows you the remaining runtime and the progress of the program on your kitchen floor.
- DosierAssisstent : The DosierAssisstent ensures that the cleaning agent gets into a drip tray and dissolves completely.
- Glass protection technology : Thanks to the glass protection technology, the dishwasher constantly checks and controls the water hardness. This ensures that delicate glasses or porcelain dishes are gently cleaned.
- Vario drawer : The model is equipped with a third loading level. You load the Vario drawer with espresso cups and other small dishes or larger cutlery.
- Height-adjustable upper basket : You can adjust the height of the upper basket in three stages by a total of up to 5 centimeters. This allows you to adjust the height to your needs and adjust it so that larger pots or plates fit in the lower basket or that you can accommodate glasses with long stems in the upper basket.
Buying a dishwasher from BOSCH can be worthwhile if you are looking for a fully integrated dishwasher with various useful features. The model’s programs include an automatic program and a silence program, in which the dishwasher’s noise level is 39 decibels. Additional functions include an extra drying function and a HygienePlus function. Other features include the AquaStop system, the third loading level, the height-adjustable upper basket, the dosing assistant and the EcoSilenceDrive.
Yes. The dishwasher offers you the option of preselecting a start time between one and 24 hours.
Yes. The model is provided with a machine care program.
Yes. The built-in dishwasher SBV68MD02E from BOSCH has a remaining time display.
In the intensive program, the dishwasher cleans your dishes at a temperature of 70 degrees Celsius.
Yes. As soon as the program is over, an acoustic signal sounds.
Yes. The model is equipped with an electronic salt and rinse aid refill indicator.
10. Bauknecht BIC 3C26 PF – fully integrated built-in dishwasher with high-pressure nozzles and express option
The fully integrated built-in dishwasher BIC 3C26 PF from Bauknecht has the energy efficiency class A ++ and offers space for up to 14 place settings. Its interior is equipped with a lower basket, an upper basket and a cutlery drawer. The lower basket has four foldable plate segments. The height-adjustable upper basket has four foldable shelves for cups. The cutlery drawer can also be loaded with longer cutlery according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The dishwasher programs include:
- Sensor program
- Daily program
- Night program
- Eco program
- Intensive program
- Express program
- Glass range
- Cold pre-rinse program
The model is also equipped with an express option and a half load option. Use the express option if you want to reduce the runtime of the program. You set the half-loading option if you have only loaded the lower or the upper basket and want to save some energy and water. Other features of the Bauknecht dishwasher are the full water protection, the automatic door opening system and the start time pre-selection, which allow you to set a delayed start time between one and 12 hours. The device also shows you the remaining time and a lack of salt or rinse aid.
The fully integrated dishwasher from Bauknecht has eight programs as well as a half-load function and an express option, which ensures a shorter runtime. You get the model with full water protection, a capacity of 14 place settings and a cutlery drawer. Its special features include the high-pressure nozzles in the rear area, through which the device, according to the manufacturer, can free your dishes from stubborn dirt.
The drying class of the Bauknecht built-in dishwasher BIC 3C26 PF is A.
The Bauknecht model consumes 266 kilowatt hours per year.
You get the dishwasher with the following dimensions: 82 centimeters high, 59.8 centimeters wide and 55.5 centimeters deep.
The noise level is 46 decibels.
Yes. If necessary, remove the upper basket from the device.
Yes. You can switch off the automatic door opening system.
If you have set the intensive program, the dishwasher will clean your dishes at a temperature of 65 degrees Celsius.
What is a built-in dishwasher?
Use a built-in dishwasher to mechanically clean pots, casserole dishes, glasses, cups, plates, cutlery and other kitchen utensils. You usually install such a device under the worktop of your kitchen. As a rule, a built-in dishwasher is equipped with a recess in the lower part. It allows you to attach a continuous skirting board. The different types of built-in dishwashers include:
- Fully integrated dishwasher: With a fully integrated dishwasher, you can completely cover the front with a kitchen front. It is important that the furniture front matches your kitchen unit. As a result, a fully integrable dishwasher fits very well into the kitchen picture. From the outside, you can usually not see that it is a dishwasher. Some models have a handle-less design. You open such devices by pushing against the door. The disadvantage of fully integrated dishwashers is the often smaller and invisible control panel, which is usually located on the upper edge of the door. You only have access to the controls when you open the door. Because of this, you cannot see the remaining term of many fully integrable models without opening the door. However, there are a few models
- Semi-integrated dishwasher : The front of a semi-integrated dishwasher is largely covered with a furniture front that matches your kitchen unit. The control panel is attached to the front. You can therefore operate the dishwasher with the door closed and usually see the remaining time during the washing program.
- Undercounter dishwasher : Unlike an undercounter standing unit, an undercounter dishwasher is not equipped with a cover plate. The control panel is usually on the front of such a dishwasher. The disadvantage is that a built-in dishwasher does not usually match your kitchen unit optically. Because you cannot cover the front of such a model with a furniture front that matches your kitchen.
How do dishwashers work?
A dishwasher can clean your cutlery, your glasses and your cooking and eating utensils. This is achieved through a combination of different factors. This includes the exposure time, the temperature, the volume flow of the water, the water pressure and the cleaning agents. Most dishwashers are equipped with at least two spray arms that rotate and spray the water onto the dishes and cutlery to be cleaned. A dishwasher’s wash program often consists of several wash cycles and a drying phase:
- Pre-wash cycle : First of all, the device cleans your dishes with cold water and without the use of a cleaning agent . As a result, it loosens easily removable dirt.
- Main wash : In the main wash, the dishwasher usually works at a temperature between 30 and 70 degrees Celsius. The cleaning agent is used here.
- Rinse aid : In the rinse aid, the dishwasher rinses your utensils with clear water and frees them from contaminated water. In addition, rinse aid is added to the water during the rinse cycle.
- Drying phase: As soon as the rinse cycles are over, the drying phase begins.
The advantages and disadvantages of a dishwasher
The effort to load and unload the dishwasher is usually not as great as the effort to wash the dishes by hand. You also save a lot of time, because while the machine is cleaning your dishes, you can do other things. In addition, your kitchen remains tidy, even if you do not clean the dishes directly. Finally, you have the option of putting the dishes in the dishwasher immediately after use. Especially if you use an energy-saving model, you usually save water and energy. If you use a built-in dishwasher, you can ideally integrate it into the design of your kitchen.
A disadvantage of dishwashers is the fairly high purchase price. Most models are in a three- or four-digit range. Sometimes the dishwasher does not remove all dirt from the utensils, so that you have to machine clean the dishes again or clean them by hand. In addition, not all dishes are suitable for machine cleaning. When cleaning in a dishwasher, you often use more chemicals than washing up by hand. You must also clean the machine itself from time to time.
Advantages and Disadvantages of machine dishwashing compared to hand washing for you:
Buying a built-in Best Dishwasher – what aspects should I consider?
The dishwashers for installation are available in many variations. But which built-in dishwasher is the best for my household? To find a good model, look at each device for various factors. Below we describe several aspects that you should check before buying a built-in dishwasher.
The energy and water consumption
If you want an energy-saving built-in dishwasher, choose a model with energy efficiency class A +++. This is currently the best energy efficiency class for dishwashers. The worst energy efficiency class for dishwashers is A or A +: if the dishwasher is 60 centimeters wide, it must have at least energy efficiency class A +. Narrow dishwashers must have at least energy efficiency class A.
In addition to the energy efficiency class, it is best to take a look at the annual electricity and water consumption and, if applicable, the consumption values of the individual programs. The manufacturers calculate the annual consumption values based on 280 rinsing processes in the standard program. This is mostly the Eco program.
The drying efficiency class
The drying efficiency class tells you more about how efficiently the dishwasher can dry your dishes. The best rating in this context is A and the worst is G. Since 2013, dishwashers with a capacity of at least eight place settings must have drying class A. Dishwashers with a capacity of seven place settings or less may have drying class B.
Many built-in dishwashers have a volume between 40 and 50 decibels. Buying a dishwasher that is as quiet as possible is particularly worthwhile if you have an open kitchen and / or are sensitive to noise. Some dishwashers score with a volume of less than 40 decibels or have a silence program in which the noise level is slightly lower than in the other programs.
Most models are 60 centimeters wide. There are also 45 cm wide dishwashers. A narrow dishwasher can be particularly useful if you have a small kitchen and live alone or in a two-person household. An alternative to the 45 cm wide models are the dishwashers, which are 45 cm high and 60 cm wide.
The 60 cm wide dishwashers usually offer space for 12 to 14 place settings. The 45 cm wide models are often available with a capacity of nine place settings. A place setting includes one of the following items:
- coffee pot
- 0.25 liter glass
- Cake plate
- Dinner plate
- Soup plate
- Dessert spoon
As a rule, the devices have a lower basket and an upper basket. The lower basket is usually equipped with plate holders. The upper basket often has cup racks. It is advantageous if you can fold down the plate holder and cup racks and adjust the height of the upper basket. This means you benefit from greater flexibility when loading the machine. The built-in dishwashers also have a cutlery basket or cutlery drawer:
- Place a cutlery basket in the lower basket. Use it to house cutlery such as knives and forks. Sometimes you can also put soup ladles, whisks and similar kitchen utensils in the cutlery basket. In addition, you usually have the option of removing the cutlery basket from the dishwasher and easily placing your cutlery in your kitchen cutlery drawer after the washing process.
- A cutlery drawer is the third loading level. It is located above the upper basket and enables you to load and unload the load on the back. After all, you usually do not have to bend down to clear the cutlery drawer. On the other hand, unloading a cutlery drawer can take a lot of effort because, unlike a cutlery basket, you cannot remove it.
Built-in dishwashers are often equipped with one or more of the following functions:
- AquaStop function : It is important that the built-in dishwasher is equipped with an AquaStop function. It offers you protection against flooding and water damage.
- Delay start : Thanks to the delay start, you can pre-program the start time. You can often set a delayed start time between one and 24 hours. As soon as your specified time is over, the appliance automatically starts the rinsing process.
- Remaining time display: Many models show you the remaining running time in minutes. If you want a fully integrated dishwasher, it is best to make sure that the appliance can project a light onto the floor that tells you whether the program is still running. Some fully integrable models project the remaining time onto your kitchen floor.
- Key lock : By switching on the key lock, you can prevent children or other people from switching off the device or changing your settings.
- Acoustic signal : Many dishwashers inform you of the end of the program with acoustic signal tones.
- Automatic switch-off function : A few devices switch off automatically some time after the end of the program.
The programs and additional functions of dishwashers at a glance
Built-in dishwashers generally have various programs and some special functions that you can select in addition to the program. Below we present a selection:
- Eco program : The eco program is also called a savings program or an energy saving program. It takes longer than other washing programs. You benefit from lower water and electricity consumption. Accordingly, you can save money and protect the environment by using the Eco program.
- Intensive program : In the intensive program, most dishwashers clean your dishes at a temperature between 65 and 70 degrees Celsius. You can select the program if your dishes are not sensitive and the food residues have dried on the items to be washed or if there are other stubborn stains.
- Automatic program : In the automatic program, a sensor checks how dirty the rinsing water is. He then adjusts the temperature, rinsing time and water consumption to the degree of pollution.
- Glass program : You can use the glass program to clean glasses and other dishes that are sensitive to temperature and slightly dirty. In the program, the dishwashers often clean your utensils at a temperature between 40 and 45 degrees Celsius.
- Quick program : Other names for a quick program are Express program, short program and turbo speed program. In the program, most devices wash your dishes at a temperature between 45 and 55 degrees Celsius. The program duration is often between 20 and 40 minutes. You use the quick program if you want to clean dishes with light soiling as quickly as possible. However, please note that the dishes are often not completely dry at the end of a short program.
- Pre-wash program : In the pre-wash program, the dishwasher works with cold water and removes the coarse dirt from your dishes. This program is useful if you have not completely filled the dishwasher and want to clean the dishes later in another program. Pre-rinsing minimizes the risk of mold on your dishes or food residues drying too much.
- Silence program : In the silence program, the device operates at a lower volume. As a rule, the water spray pressure is reduced in this program. At the same time, the term is extended. The Silence program is worthwhile for you, for example, if you set the dishwasher at night or if you have an open kitchen.
- Extra drying function : Activating the extra drying function ensures a higher temperature during the rinse cycle and a longer drying phase. The function is suitable, for example, if you load the dishwasher with plastic dishes that are difficult to dry.
- Hygiene Plus function : You can activate the Hygiene Plus function, for example, if you want to clean baby bottles or cutting boards that were used to process raw meat. When the function is switched on, the device operates at higher temperatures. Regular use of the Hygiene Plus option can lead to a higher hygiene status.
- Half-load function : Some dishwashers only wash the lower or the upper basket when necessary. When you have loaded the machine half full, you can save electricity and water with the half load function. In addition, you need less detergent when using this function.
- VarioSpeed Plus function : You use this feature to reduce the runtime of the program. However, the dishwasher uses more energy and water when using the VarioSpeed Plus function.
- Intensive zone function : If you activate the intensive zone function, the device increases the spray pressure in the lower basket and works at a higher temperature. You use the function if you load the lower basket with heavily soiled dishes and the upper basket with normally soiled dishes.
How do I properly equip a dishwasher?
By properly arranging your dishwasher, you usually benefit from more efficient cleaning. Below you will find out what you should pay attention to when loading and unloading a dishwasher:
- Before loading the dishwasher, remove coarse food residues and soak stubbornly soiled dishes.
- Put pots, dinner plates and other large dishes in the lower basket. Make sure that none of the wash items hinder or hinder the rotation of the spray arms.
- For example, load the upper basket with glasses, cups, bowls and lunch boxes. Larger cutlery such as spatulas and soup ladles are also better placed in the upper basket instead of the cutlery basket. If you have a dishwasher with a cutlery drawer, you can usually store the large cutlery in the cutlery drawer.
- The cutlery basket includes a knife, fork and spoon. It is best to clear the cutlery items together and with the handle facing down.
- Put pots, casserole dishes, bowls, cups and other utensils in your dishwasher with the opening facing downwards.
- Do not place the glasses too close together. You shouldn’t touch each other.
- Make sure that your dishes do not fall over and are solid in the dishwasher.
- Do not load the machine too fully. Otherwise there is a risk that your dishes will not be completely clean.
- Before cleaning the dishwasher, wait until the dishes have cooled down. Then first unload the lower basket.
What cleaning agents do I need for the dishwasher?
If you want to wash your dishes in a dishwasher, you need a dishwasher detergent. You get this as a tab, powder or gel:
- The dishwasher tabs impress with their convenient handling, because you do not have to dose the detergent yourself. However, since the tabs do not allow you to dose individually, there is a risk of overdosing. Overdosing means a higher environmental impact and can lead to streaks on your dishes and cutlery after washing.
- You can dose a dishwasher powder individually and adapt it to the washing program and your needs. The disadvantage is that the handling of such a product is not so convenient. To make it easier to dose the powder, use a dosing device.
- With a dishwasher gel, you usually benefit from simple handling. The disadvantage is that a gel often does not clean the dishes as well as tabs or powder.
An alternative to the commercially available dishwashing detergents is a homemade cleaning agent. Such a means is more environmentally friendly. You can only try out yourself whether it cleans your dishes sufficiently and hygienically from dirt.
In addition to the dishwashing detergent, you need dishwashing salt and a rinse aid. The salt can prevent limescale deposits and better clean your dishes. The rinse aid is designed to ensure that your dishes dry better and that no stains are left on the dishes.
Instead of three detergents, use a multi-function cleaner if necessary. Such products include a dishwashing detergent, a rinse aid and dishwashing salt. However, keep in mind that you cannot dose the individual components of a multi-function cleaner individually. Overdoses are therefore possible. For example, if the water hardness is low, you may need less salt than the multifunctional cleaner contains. But underdosing is also conceivable: If the water is very hard, you usually need additional salt.
How do I clean my built-in dishwasher?
Ideally, you should clean your dishwasher regularly. This can prevent the cleaning performance from declining, mold and unpleasant smells. In addition, you can increase the service life of your machine and ensure a lower germ load if you clean the device regularly. Below we give you a few tips for cleaning a dishwasher:
- Before cleaning, remove the strainer and baskets from the device. If possible, also remove the spray arms.
- Clean the interior, the baskets, the brackets and the shelves with a sponge or cloth and a little warm water. If necessary, use a vinegar cleaner.
- Clean the door seals with a soft cloth, warm water and, if necessary, a neutral cleaning agent.
- Remove the dirt on the spray arms using water and a cloth or sponge. If necessary, use a little washing-up liquid. With a toothpick, you can carefully clear clogged holes from their dirt.
- Clean the drain strainer under running water. If necessary, use a little washing-up liquid and / or a brush.
- If you want to use a home remedy to clean your dishwasher, you can use citric acid or vinegar essence. Use citric acid and a cloth to remove dirt from the seals, the spray arms and the interior. If you want to use vinegar essence, fill a bucket with water and two cups of vinegar essence. Then wipe the interior of the machine with the mixture. You can also soak the drain strainer and spray arms in the mixture. It is better not to clean the seals with vinegar. Otherwise you could damage them.
- Once you’ve finished cleaning, you can add about six to ten tablespoons of citric acid to the floor of the interior if necessary. Then set a program in which the dishwasher operates at a temperature of at least 60 degrees Celsius and has no pre-wash cycle. If you select a program with a pre-rinse cycle, it is better not to distribute the citric acid on the inside of the machine until the pre-rinse cycle has ended.
- Regularly set a program in which the appliance cleans your dishes at a high temperature. This serves to minimize the germ load.
FAQ – 11 questions and answers about Best Dishwashers
What is a decorative dishwasher?
If necessary, you can equip a decorative dishwasher with a decorative plate that visually matches your kitchen unit. You can mount the plate on the frame of the dishwasher. Note that the decorative panels are often very thin and not robust.
How long have there been dishwashers?
Joel Houghton received a patent in 1850 for a dishwasher that was made of wood and was operated by hand. In addition, a patent was granted to LA Alexander in 1865. The devices from Joel Houghton and LA Alexander did not work ideally. The American Josephine Cochrane developed a dishwasher in the 19th century that worked with water pressure. She registered the patent for this machine in 1886. The first dishwasher was presented at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893.
The Miele company produced the first electric dishwashers in Europe in 1929. Dishwashers became popular with private users from around the 1960s.
Who makes built-in dishwashers?
Built-in dishwashers are produced by various companies. The best-known manufacturers and brands include:
- KKT PISTON
Where can I buy a built-in Best Dishwasher?
You can get a built-in dishwasher at many electronics stores, in some hardware stores, in specialist shops and from time to time at some discounters and supermarkets. When buying locally, you can often get personal advice. Alternatively, you can buy a built-in dishwasher online. In many online shops you will discover a lot of models in different price ranges, which differ in their size, their equipment and their electricity and water consumption and which come from different brands.
How expensive is a built-in dishwasher?
You can get most built-in dishwashers for a purchase price in the three-digit range. Other models have a four-digit purchase price. Whether a built-in dishwasher is cheap or expensive depends on various factors. Expensive models often convince with good quality and special features. In addition, they are sometimes quieter and / or more energy-efficient than the inexpensive devices. Please note that a dishwasher that is inexpensive to buy is not always a dishwasher that is always affordable. In most cases, investing in a model with a lower water and energy consumption is more worthwhile in the long run than an inexpensive model with a higher electricity and water consumption.
Can I install and connect a dishwasher myself?
It is important that the dishwasher is correctly installed and connected. If you believe in the installation and connection yourself and may already have experience with it, you can carry out the installation yourself if necessary. In this case, read the operating instructions for your model carefully and inform yourself extensively about installing and connecting a dishwasher. Alternatively, have the installation carried out by a professional. Many dealers have an assembly service that can install and connect your device.
How do I use the dishwasher to save energy?
If you want to clean your dishes mechanically and as energy-saving as possible, it is best to choose an energy-saving dishwasher. To keep energy consumption low when using the device, please note the following:
- Make sure that the device does not remain switched on in standby mode if possible.
- Use the Eco program more often.
- In most cases it is better not to pre-wash your dishes. If your dishes are soiled with herbs or spinach, remove the dirt beforehand. In addition, soak heavily soiled dishes before the machine is cleaned.
- If possible, only use the dishwasher if you have fully loaded the machine.
- Sometimes you can save energy by connecting the device to a hot water connection instead of a cold water connection. Whether and how much electricity you can save in this way depends, among other things, on how the water in your household is heated.
How do I prevent my cutlery from getting rusty?
The formation of rust film can have various causes. Sometimes the cause is a pot that is equipped with rusty screws. If you machine-clean such a pot, the rust particles of the screws can get into the rinsing water and spread in the dishwasher. The rust particles can then be deposited on other dishes or cutlery. Other possible causes of flash rust are, for example, old cutlery items made of rusty metal or cutlery baskets that rust in certain places.
To minimize the risk of rust on your cutlery, it is best to wash old cutlery and dishes with rusty screws or handles by hand. Also only put dishes in the dishwasher that are suitable for machine cleaning and remove the cutlery from the dishwasher as soon as possible after the end of the program. If you do not have time to immediately remove the cutlery from the machine and dry it, open the door so that the water vapor can escape from the device.
If your cutlery has rust, you can use various home remedies to remove it:
- Lemon juice : Soak the cutlery in lemon juice or clean the cutlery with a rag and a little lemon juice.
- Cola : Fill a glass or other container with cola. Then put your cutlery in the container and let it work.
- Potato : Cut open a raw potato and use your help to clean the cutlery.
How does pitting develop?
Pitting can occur if saline leftovers or fruit acids or other food acids are on the cutlery for a long time before the cleaning process. You can therefore reduce the risk of pitting on your cutlery by cleaning the cutlery parts as soon as possible after use or at least freeing them of food residues shortly after use. Pitting can also occur if you use too little detergent.
How do I clean heavily soiled dishes?
If your dishes are stubbornly soiled, it is best to soak them for several minutes before putting them in the dishwasher. If the dishes are not completely cleaned by machine cleaning, you can clean them by hand. You can usually use a normal hand dishwashing detergent or a home remedy.
What are the alternatives to built-in dishwashers?
As an alternative to built-in dishwashers, there are free-standing dishwashers or free-standing appliances. You have a worktop that is usually pre-assembled and that you can put a load on. You can use this as a work surface or for storing your kitchen appliances. The advantage is that you can set up a free-standing unit more flexibly in your kitchen. However, it is important that the necessary connections such as a water connection are nearby. The disadvantage is that you cannot optically insert a free-standing dishwasher into your kitchen. Because you cannot disguise the front of such a device and adapt it to your kitchen unit.
Many floor-standing units can be built under. With a built-in dishwasher, you have the option of removing the worktop. You can then slide the device under the worktop of your kitchen and integrate it into your kitchen unit. However, the free-standing models usually do not have a recess in the lower area that would allow you to attach a continuous skirting board.
In addition to a free-standing dishwasher, a table dishwasher can be an alternative to a built-in dishwasher. Such a device is a small dishwasher that you place on a worktop or table. The capacity of most table dishwashers is low: many models offer space for a maximum of six place settings. The table dishwashers are mainly used in households with one or two people.